Monday, January 5, 2009

Put It Away or Don't


Grocery shopping..I wouldn't say that I love to go, but it is one chore that isn't smelly, doesn't require me to get on my hands and knees and scrub, and never gets dusty.

As I was leaving the store today, after going in to only get some apples and bananas, I found that I had a basket full of groceries that I had no idea that I actually needed.  With my cart brimming to the top, I pushed it outside and filled my car up with the yums for the week.  As usual, I was in a hurry to get home to do some sort of something important, and I just felt like I needed to leave the shopping cart basket right by the car.

Funny thing...I just couldn't do that.  I haven't been able to leave a cart not in the proper parking apparatus since I was in my early twenties.  Like most everything else in my life, there is a very perfect reason.  The reason this time - Violet.

Violet was my loving Norwegian speaking, Tennessee and Iowa breed grandma.  To put it simply, Violet was delicious...absolutely everything about her.  Her cooking was mouth watering, her tone was delectable, and the lessons she taught were more than thought worthy.

One day after shopping with her at the local Sioux City Hy-Vee, grandma expressed extreme dissatisfaction with the patron who left their shopping cart by their car.  I asked her and she said this, "It is a privilege to have shopping carts.  Back in my day, we had no such thing.  We all should honor the modern conveniences that are around us, and respect those conveniences."

When I say to my boys that I am a life long learner and want them to be too, its' because I want us all to continue to learn lessons like this and keep our ears open for the next thoughtful opportunity.

No comments: