Friday, July 11, 2008

The Potluck


This story is definitely one worth telling.

You know those stories, the ones that define a person? This one describes who my brother is to a T.

Our whole family was together in the basement of the church that my grandparents had gone to for all of their lives. We were there to honor the passing of one of our Great Aunts. As tradition has it, after the church service, the church will host a potluck lunch for all that are present.

As to be expected, there were many kinds of salads, ham sandwiches, chips, and a table full of desserts. I just so happened to be sitting by my brother for this particular meal. After a time eating, he said to me, "Sara, I know it doesn't look very good, but this green, mushy, cottage cheese looking salad is really good."

To be honest, that particular concoction didn't look it's best.

Interestingly enough, I was not intrigued by the salad, but by the choice.

I asked my brother, "Steven, if you think that the salad looks so bad, why did you get it?"

This is his reply. "Every time that I go to a buffet, I take a look at what is on the table. I always take what has the most left."

After this explanation, I was even more perplexed.

"Why?"

"I never want the person who brought the dish to the potluck to feel bad. I will always choose the things that have the most versus what I really like."

Could you just cry?

I hope the story that defines me is as good as this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have known way longer than me, but I would concur. This is definitely your brother. I think I have been with him when he choose the thing that no one else was trying. It doesn't always work out (like sometimes it tastes really really bad), but I love how generous (and adventurous) he is to try it anyway.

GREAT WRITING!!!

Anonymous said...

I like this one....what a wonderful man to think of another's feelings first -- even someone he might not know - and who may never know the kindness and thoughfulness that he extended -- or that it was from him. I hope that 'my defining story' is as good as his too!