Thursday, October 9, 2008

Fifty-Seven Teachers in the Classroom


This blog is meant to be observational, but I'm already assuming it will get its share of criticism.

On average, there are 26 kids in an elementary classroom.  In each classroom, let's assume that 5 of the kids are from divorced families.  (Obviously these statistics are for Parker - not all neighborhoods.)  Of those families, 3 of the parents have remarried.  What that means is that there are - 2 moms/dads (and let's assume that one of the parents is absent from the family) 3 remarried, and 21 families that are married.  If you add all of that up, there are 2 parents + 6 parents (original)/6 (half - or step) + 42 parents =56.  AND, of course, there is the original one teacher = 57.  Hope this mathematical equation makes sense...

What I am trying to get at is this...a lot of the time I hear criticism about our public school system.  But...if you look at the facts above, I come to observe and show something....

There are 180 days in the school year.  If what I have specified above is even close to true, that would mean that if each parent took 3 1/2 days and spent it in their child's classroom, there is a possibility of some major changes, right??  That would actually mean that there would be two live adult bodies in the elementary classroom each day.

Would this change the test scores, stats, and overall concern that we as Americans have about what is going on with our educational system?

So, for me, I am off to make sure that I am volunteering my time.  I've heard that it takes a village to raise a community...and I certainly hope that is what we all want.

There isn't anybody that is any busier than anyone else.  Isn't it time that we all take the time??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!